Sunday, March 04, 2007

Better late than never

Your humble author has been called out, to wit:

Sieglinde comes out of hiding, announcing herself with a new design and a tag. The game: pick up the nearest book, turn to page 123, and copy the 5th, 6th and 7th sentences. The result:

"Thus the R2 also can be expressed as one minus the ratio of the sum of squared residuals to the total sum of squares: R2 = 1 - (SSR/TSS). Finally, the R2 of the regression of Y on the single regressor X is the square of the correlation coefficient between Y and X. The R2 ranges between zero and one."

That's from a swell read entitled Introduction to Econometrics, by James H. Stock and Mark W. Watson.

I tag Maury, Chalkenteros, and Mr. Patrick J. Smith.


Fair enough:

A week later when Sebastian came up for trial he was fined ten pounds. The newspapers reported it with painful prominence, one of them under the ironic headline: "Marquis's Son Unused to Wine." The magistrate said that it was only though the prompt action of the police that he was not up on a grave charge..."It is purely by good fortune that you do not bear the responsibility of a serious accident..."

From? Waugh's incomparable Brideshead Revisited. Concerning? One of the incidents that prompts Lord Sebastian Flyte's decline into (?) his own special brand holiness. I really should post my thoughts on Brideshead; I confess: I have spent more time with T.S. Eliot, Gore Vidal, and the plethora of social historians that make up my coursework these days than with Mr. Waugh.

Alex, though, should thank his lucky stars that my abstract algebra book is on the other side of my room.

4 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Blogger T. Ambrose Nazianzus said...

Wow...I know exactly what scene that is taken from. Talk about total recall!

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Patrick J. Smith said...

Brideshead. Addictive, in its own way. We, surely at the soon-to-be-contentious dinner, will have to talk about it.

If there were but a handful more readers, I warrant that we could start a fraternity based solely around that book - given the devotion some students, alumni, and professors have to it.

The lore wouldn't be much, but I daresay that the rituals would be something to remember. Caviare aux blinis, anyone?

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger T. Ambrose Nazianzus said...

Do you have an aim or something that can get emailed to me?

We shall have much fun at the dinner. I hear your Dining Society toasts the president as the "president of the United states"? ;)

We shall have much fun. I'm on Campus until that Sunday. May I borrow a ride to the Indy Airport that Sunday evening? If not, could I at least borrow your ability to entertain?

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger Patrick J. Smith said...

Apparently, deine alte Bruderer have some trouble both with the notion of the Loyal Toast and with the English language.

Over here, at least in Wolcott and Phi Psi, we have no such problems.

As to the rest, we'll talk. I don't know what's shaping up in what ways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home