Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The war for the hearts, minds, and middle names of the electorate

I saw this, first-hand from some folks with whom I went to college.

Now, it's just the interweb - and Facebook at that - but let's get real, here.

Let's say I were really into the band Steely Dan. Now, I am, as it happens, really into the work of Messrs. Becker and Fagen, but that's not entirely the point. Let's say that I thought that judicious compulsory listening of, I don't know, either Pretzel Logic or Aja would bring about lasting change in the Republic. Now, such a project might, in fact, cure some of the ills current in the nation, but sooner or later we'd have to get to Countdown to Ecstasy, The Royal Scam, or Katy Lied - and the folks rocking out to "Any Major Dude Will Tell You" or "Peg" might start getting a little balky, though that's more of a slur on them than Messrs. Becker and Fagen, but I digress.

My point is this, friend: If someone thought that such a program of Steely Dan listening was the hope for the future, then would they be rational if they wanted to change their name to John Walter Becker and Donald Fagen Public?

Of course not. That is not a rational act, even in the pretend interweb world, no offense, of course, to Messrs. Becker and Fagen. Why, then, is it any more rational vis-à-vis a figure who has, arguably, contributed considerably less to the life of the Republic than Messrs. Becker and Fagen?

Short answer: It's not. Personal comment: It's going to be a long summer.