Friday, May 18, 2007

A pleasant surprise

After finals and a trip to Italy for nine days with a class, I am just now getting back into the swing of things. Imagine, then, my surprise when I saw my former workplace front and center on Alex Ross' blog. It was even nicer to see that Mr. Ross is covering Midwestern orchestras like the Hoosier State's own Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. When Leppard was there, it seemed to be pretty solid. However, I haven't followed it much through the Mario Venzago years.

Oddly enough, the new Wilco album played a part in my trip. Now, my tastes in popular music are complicated and probably not worth explaining. Let me just say that Johnny Cash's Unchained record got the most playtime of a pop. record on the trip, followed by Pink Floyd's The Final Cut and Mika's Life in Cartoon Motion. However, a friend on the trip (and a colleague at school) is, I gather, rather into Wilco. One thing led to another, and I found myself in a La Feltrinelli (an Italian Barnes and Noble as far as I can tell) on Largo Argentina while he looked for the record. He found it.

By the by, I worked in the building on the left-hand side of the frame. I was an intern in arts administration. Not terribly glamorous, but a really good introduction to the business of art in a fair-sized Midwestern city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home