Monday, June 25, 2007

Worth a [befuddled] read.

I don't get Friedrich Nietzsche, especially in the "big" works. I can muddle through his Wagner writings, but only because I know about what he speaks. Other than that, as many times as I read his works (in the Kaufmann translations), I sometimes think I get them, and then immediately decide that I don't get them. His Über die alten hexametrischen Nomen was a pretty important work, as I gather, in the development of our modern understanding of ancient verse, but since I do social history stuff - turning deviancy, most recently, into questions of ideology and the existence of programmatic attempts to rectify that ideology with reality - I don't get to deal with that often. In any event, Nietzsche's writings on Wagner are of great interest, simply because Nietzsche had very definite ideas about drama and music - as did Wagner. A.C. Douglas, then, quotes from Nietzsche's works, expressing two "ambivalent" opinions of Nietzsche on Wagner. Interesting reading indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home