Saturday, August 12, 2006

Neckwear and me

I wear bow ties.

Almost exclusively, as a matter of fact. They are, ounce-for-ounce, infinitely more interesting than cravat-style neckties. They're also harder to tie, so you get a feeling of accomplishment that the four-in-hand knot doesn't provide. They are also distinctive. At my job this summer, in downtown Indianapolis - but I won't say where, my predilection for bow ties earned me some small renown in my building. Of course, one doesn't wear them out of ego, but rather out of an earnest desire to look dapper and to master an art from a bygone time.

Lest I give one of my more devoted readers ammunition with which to attack my private disgust at fashion, I won't tell you all the places whence I get my ties. Let me say, though, that you'd be surprised who still makes them. And how hard they make them to find. However, I will say - for conservative styles - Brooks Brothers is the place to go. Unless you're a devotee or the son of a former chairman of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, you'll find all your needs filled there.

Here, also, is an article - from earlier this summer - about the resurgence of the bow tie. Yes, I want to tell the author, bow ties are "hot." Not because you say they are, but because they speak to a time in fashion when Milan and Paris didn't exercise a total hegemony over fashion. A time when conservative style for men was the norm - and the clothes that some men wear today would have been grounds for a solid thrashing at the club. Verbal or otherwise.

Don't say I never addressed fashion; I just knew that my attitudes are suitably antediluvian.

9 Comments:

At 3:29 AM, Blogger T. Ambrose Nazianzus said...

Interesting, you nemesis also said the same thing. We both have Ralph Lauren bow-ties now.

They do make those hard to find. Burberry has complete abandoned them, though Burberry ties are far more interesting than bow-ties, not necessaryily from a conversational standpoint, but from a style standpoint.

Of course, you were never one to be popular.

Do you have a bow tie to match last years tie?

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger T. Ambrose Nazianzus said...

I also reject spelling for today.

So, how does one go about recovering their links standing? Outside of moderatly insulting comments?

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Patrick J. Smith said...

I'd rather be infamous and talked-about than a joke. Take that for what it's worth.

As to reclaiming your status on my links bar: you're going to have to couple cultural commentary with an editorial policy that is either consonant with my own or that amuses me.

You're also going to have to kiss my ass, at the expense of a couple people, pretty hard.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger T. Ambrose Nazianzus said...

But there is so much of it to kiss.

It really would be like a day job, or something one could moonlight as at night, like being a bartender, but infinitely less satisfying.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Smith said...

You'll never get back to the links bar that way. Only if you stroke my ego and tell me how wonderful I am, especially compared to some of my "favorites," will you know what it is to be in my internet Elysium.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger T. Ambrose Nazianzus said...

I think I have more fun this way. I never did enjoy ego stroking, and less so now. Oh well.

And after I suggested Die Walkure to you. Hagen indeed.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Smith said...

What can I say? You should expect nothing less from me.

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2013 Hermes Bags[url=http://www.likehandbagsforsale.com]2013 Hermes Bags[/url] incorrect Bags Hermes[url=http://www.kellyhandbagsforsale.com]hermes replica[/url] training investment

 
At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hookup apps are the best site for dating. if you want a real girlfriend/boyfriend and spend you expensive time with him/her please visit this site one time.
Best Hookup Apps

 

Post a Comment

<< Home