Saturday, July 21, 2007

Worth a read, and sharing

Any blog post that sends me scrambling for my Oxford Classical Text of Vergil (P. Vergili Maronis Opera) is worth a read. I'll admit, Latin poetry isn't my specialty (philology in general not being my primary course of study, such as I have one), but I know just enough to pick my way through Eclogue II (IV being my favorite, not for alleged Messianic connections, but for its hyper-political context and content). Now, I'm not really making any content comments - on Vergil, Dante, or the interpretations (for various reasons on all three counts) - but this is really the sort of stuff I like to read.

Despite the grim pronouncements of those who oppose 'bloggers, content like this would be hard to find in major magazines. There's hope yet.

As if there ever weren't.